Questions of Project Management

21.4.07

Case Study Tips

Student A asked us:

I have read through the case study a few times but still don't feel confident about it. can you please suggest any other ideas or tips on dealing with case studies.

This is quite a big question. Obviously I can't discuss any points about this year's case study per se, but can give out some general tips.

You will be given a clean copy of the case study in the exam room, so you're not expected to memorise it. However, make sure that you know this year's case study really well (you will then find it quicker and easier to answer the questions when you're under exam conditions).

The exam questions will generally ask you to apply your knowledge of various facets of project management to the case. The premise is that you will relate your answers to events / issues from the case.

Some students find it helpful to prepare by thinking about what questions we might ask. Of course, there's no guarantee that we'll ask what you thought of, but it can be better to be part-prepared - you never know - you might strike gold!

I set the case study questions, although I don't necessarily restrict them to the aspects of the course that I taught. I may set questions from anything covered in the syllabus.

Case study answers are often about the strength of your arguments, rather than 'right' or 'wrong' answers as such (which tend to be more in the other two sections of the paper). This follows the model of the first two courseworks, which were case study based and expected you to present a reasoned argument for a conclusion / recommendation.

There are - of course - some key points that I hope you will pick up, and some where I'll be disappointed if you don't identify them as issues. But marks are just as much for what you do with the points / issues you identify and not just about identifying them alone. Again - very much like the first two courseworks.

I hope this helps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home